Hello guys. Hope your all well and happy?!
Will be showing you guys how I treat my hair and wash it after taking down a Protective Style. This post contains different pictures at different times. But this is my Routine, I just decided to put all in one post😉
I know wash days are so stressful for many especially after taking down a PS, but for some its nothing 😣 well this is quite simple but detailed, nothing too serious. Basically I do a black Tea Rinse and protein Deep Conditioning Treatment (Must Do) and the result was great!!!
- BEFORE TAKING DOWN A PROTECTIVE STYLE (Twists, braids or weaves)
Before taking down my PS, I spray (water, leave in conditioner and oil mixture) from my spray bottle on the attachment, concentrating on the point my hair shows not the whole length of attachment. This helps reduce tugging or knots while taking them down. It also gives the kinky attachment that great slip it needs for easy take down, kinky attachment is dry and coarse so if you dont handle it properly while loosening, it could tangle and pull off your own hair.😖
- DETANGLING: After take-down, section your hair in medium-sized sections; like 4-6 sections. I use 4 sections. Apply and massage conditioner/oil and water to dampen hair, then clip each section away. Let this sit on your hair for a few minutes in order to saturate in the hair, and to prepare for the detangling process.
After about 10-15minutes I detangle carefully with my fingers first, then I used a wide tooth comb to completely detangle. Dont be alermed if you see some shedding at this process as its normal. There would be knots around be careful to take your time to remove them all if not your hair would become tangled during the wash process.
- WASHING: After proper detangling with my fingers then the wide tooth comb, its time to wash. I used my Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo, its a clarifying Shampoo. I suggest you use a clarifying shampoo and not a regular or moisturizing shampoo as your hair has been in a long term style you want to remove all the debris and build up.
For those bothered about stripping off moisture after shampooing you can always do a pre-poo with any oil of your choice. This will moisturize your hair while washing.
I washed twice till it was squeaky clean 😄 then I rinsed out all the shampoo.
- PROTEIN DEEP CONDITIONING TREATMENT: Protein treatments after long term styles are a must do! Because your hair has been in a long term style, your hair strands are weak, and using a protein treatment in your washing regimen will strengthen your hair strands.
My style of protein treatment is to do both deep condition and protein treatment together!!!!!😮 yesso no time to do protein treatment first then DC next. I Just do both together same result. For DC you can use a recipe or just a products that is for deep conditioning
– INGREDIENTS: protein DC treatment I use:1 whole egg, 1 table spoon Mayonnaise, half tea spoon of coconut/ olive oil, 1 tea spoon of lemon/lime juice, 1 tea spoon of honey. And 1 table spoon of my protein deep conditioner (Giovanni hair reconstructor) picture below.
This recipe can be altered to best meet your hair length. If you’v got short hair please reduce the quantity so it doesnt waste, its better you do little than to do too much cus even with little your hair will still get the goodness. If your hair is longer than mine you can add a little more. 😌
NOTE: To prevent the messy dripping problem😡, please mix little quantity and apply little to your hair, use egg yolk alone don’t add the white so it doesn’t get too watery, you really dont have to make it saturated and drooling all over your hair. Whether little or saturated its the same thing. The hair will get what she needs just make sure it touches all the strands.– PROCEDURE: Mix all properly, then apply to hair, massage in properly from scalp to ends..cover with a plastic cap, Allow sit on hair for 15minutes with heat and 30minutes without heat, get a towel to wipe off drips. I apply heat for 5minutes and covered it with a wrapper to trap the heat 😏lol
Note: Applying heat during a deep conditioning treatment aids proper penetration for type 4 hair. Use a hooded steamer or indirect heat from your blow dryer, or you wrap hair with a warm towel after the plastic cap.
– After time elapses Rinse Off completely.
– HOW OFTEN: I Do protein DC every month, Gbam!!! 😄 because my hair is color treated and she needs repair lol, but at the same time I pay attention to my hair just incase shes getting too much protein, which is Not too good. But girl you can do a moisturizing Deep condition twice a month. She will love it 😍
- BLACK TEA RINSE: A tea rinse is done by pouring a cup of tea, commonly green or black, over the hair to reduce shedding or stimulate hair growth. The caffeine in the tea penetrates the hair follicles. Black tea is a tea for hair growth that helps to restore shine and color to your hair. Rinsing your hair with black tea helps to darken your hair and also give it luster (if you have light hair color, black tea will darken it so use green tea instead). It can be used in cases where hairs are being damaged with shampoos that contain a lot of chemicals. Using black tea as a tea for hair growth helps to slow down hair fall and increase the quantity of your hair.
MY REVIEW On TEA RINSE: I do mine every month and I use black tea (Lipton). My hair is color treated and it helps alot to reduce breakage/Shedding. In fact before I added tea rinsing to my routine I loose hair like no-mans-business. It was so bad!! when I wash/ comb I pull out chunks of hair every damn time 😩 I was so worried then I had a little research now I can count the number of strands that fall off on wash days. Sometimes only four. Yes!!!! 💃 So try it if you have serious shedding/ breakage or you add to your wash day routine if you wanna prevent shedding.
Note: Black tea contains very high caffeine level and Too much caffeine cause stunted growth. So go for green tea. You can tea rinse monthly with black tea and twice a month with green tea, some girls even leave it in their hair or add to their spray bottle. 😬
Haa enough said lets get back to business… Wel well 😵
– HOW TO Tea Rinse: I Steep 1 tea bag in 1 glass of hot water for 30 min. When the tea has cooled, pour it over hair, allow it to sit for 15mins so it can penetrate well,… You can improvise by pouring tea in a spray bottle and spraying your hair. You can rinse your hair or leave as a leave-in. But no i don’t leave it in oooo cus it makes my hair hardd. So after that I just Condition and rinse off the conditioner, then Apply a leave in conditioner, and hair butter(shea butter) or oil to seal in moistureeee 😵💆👯 done!After all done, I packed her as a puff or any other style for a week and the next week I make big cornrows for like 3-4 days 😍love them
Note: It is important to give your hair some time to breathe once your extensions are removed. Your hair needs at least one to two weeks to regain the proper moisture balance and its strength from your long term style. Once your hair is healthy and strong again, then you can get your next install.😊
Phew!!!! 😅 hope you enjoyed this detailed tutorial ?? Sorry for writing alot will try to shorten my write ups, i just always have so much to say 😁😷😑 (please let me know if you like it this detailed or shorter).
Have you tried protein Deep condition or tea rinse?? How does your hair feel after a tea rinse or protein Deep condition? Does it help with shedding/ breakage??? What other treatments can you do after a protective style?? Please let me know in the comment section. 😘
Please sunscribe to my channel HERE
Thanks and stay Blessed!