I had a major trim in September, where I cut off two Inches off my ends. My ends needed a major trim because of the dye game lol and also I wasn’t able to stick to my regimen (expecially for color treated hair). Had a lot of breakage, tangles, brittle ends, split ends (you know how terrible that feels??? Like a heartbreak 😄). (Phew)
If the ends are not trimmed, the damage can travel farther up the shaft, causing even more damage and stunted growth.
Please note that you only trim when needed, you dont have to cut off good hair. Listen to your hair, examine your ends for splits, then You decide what you want. You may not require a major trim like Me, you may just need to dust.
There are 4 ways to trim Natural hair, find out HERE
Before My Trim
– I deep conditioned with my favorite deep conditioner (Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor)
– On damp hair, moisturized and sealed with shea butter. Then applied black castor oil to my ends.
– Detangled gently and sectioned into 3.
– Took out Little pieces, combed through and trimmed with a hair cutting shears I got from Olori. Then I twisted it up. Please ensure you use a Hair scissors. Not paper scissors or gardening shears 😜
You can watch a short clip on my instagram page ( Ellpuggy )
After My Trim
– Deep conditioned with the same product I used earlier to sooth any trauma caused from the trim ( Im sure there wasn’t lol). Reason why you need to use a hair cutting shears.
– Moisturized and sealed.
– Applied Cantu leave in conditioner Repair cream to My ends.
How Often Should You Trim?
Some people say every 4 – 8 weeks, while others suggest every 8 – 12 weeks. I suggest learning your hair to determine what works for you. Some people may need to trim their ends more often than others. In short the more you manipulate, blow dry, flat iron and dye your hair, the more it will need to be trimmed. I suggest checking your ends regularly and trimming as necessary. 😉