I wash my hair biweekly.
- I pre-poo (prepare my hair for shampooing) using coconut oil or olive Oil. I apply the oil to my hair in sections, finger detangle very lightly, put on a plastic cap and leave on for 12hours or overnight. Olive oil and coconut oil are absorbed into your hair strand and as such strengthens your hair shaft by preventing hygral fatigue (the weakening of the strand due to swelling during the uptake of water).
- I alternate my Co-wash days with my shampoo wash days biweekly. I Co-wash using Shea Moisture Superfruit Complex 10-in-1 Renewal System Conditioner. When I feel my hair is gross, I shampoo my hair with a moisturizing shampoo such as Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo or Shea Moisture Superfruit Complex 10-in-1 Renewal System Shampoo. I wash in sections.
- I protein Treat my hair in sections using Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor. I have been using this product since I returned Natural along side with Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor. I always protein Treat my hair with Heat cap for 15minutes.
- I deep condition my hair in sections using Shea Moisture Raw shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque or Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner. I always deep condition with my heat cap for 15minutes.
- I do Apple Cider Vinegar rinse once a month (after I rinse off my Conditioner) to restore my hair’s pH to 4.5. I put it on for 4-5 mins. And every other wash day I do My warm Green / Black tea rinse, to reduce shedding. I then finally rinse off my hair with cold water. Cold water keeps your cuticles flat while hot water lifts them and let’s all the moisture we’ve worked so hard to capture, escape!! I even rinse my hair in sections, lol.
- I then wrap my hair in an old cotton t-shirt. Cotton t-shirts prevent mechanical damage caused by rubbing your hair with a towel.
- I then let my hair air dry till it is 60% dry.
- I apply a coin size amount of my Detangler, Shea Moisture Raw Shea butter Extra Moisture Detangler, and lightly finger Detangle in sections(this is my final detangling stage) this stuff works like magic to melt knots and detangle my 4C hair.
- I apply my Leave-in Conditioner, Shea Moisture JBCO Strengthen Grow & Restore Leave in conditioner / Alikay Naturals LemonGrass leave in or Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioner.
- I Seal with my DIY Oil Mix on my ends leaving my scalp out.
- I Massage My Scalp with my growth oil, Alikay Naturals Essential 17 Hair Growth Oil or The Mane Choice Multi-Vitamin Scalp Nourishing Growth Oil. Feels good!
- I Lock it all in With my DIY hair Butter Mix or Alikay Naturals Totally Twisted LOC Hair Butter and cornrow my hair (All back). Voila!
The whole process takes me about 1 hour:30minutes to 2hours, as my hair is always in sections from start to finish, to prevent breakage from matting and over manipulation.
I wear my satin bonnet over my cornrows once in a while but I always sleep on a satin pillowcase (a must do) I even travel along with my pillowcase.
MAINTENANCE AND STYLING
If my hair isnt in cornrows (all back), a high bun are my go-to style! For low manipulative styles I do twist out, braid out and bun, for protective styles I do cornrows, braids, or crochet styles. I stick to very simple styles.
I do not take any hair vitamin as they break me out terribly.
I moisturize my hair when needed or every 2-3 days with the LOCS method.
I trim my hair on average twice a year or as needed! This helps to remove split/ damaged ends that can further split into the hair shaft, causing breakage and stunted growth.
That’s pretty much it! If you have any question on my hair regimen/ products please comment below.
Please subscribe to my YouTube channel HERE
To buy Natural hair products, tools and for more hair tips click HERE
Follow kinkyNigerianCurls On Instagram HERE
My Main Instagram Page HERE